JFYNet Partner School Spotlight – Doing Great Things February 2020

JFYNetWorks Partner School Spotlight

Sometimes We Need to Be Reminded…
… that our schools are full of great kids, hard-working and creative teachers, overworked and underappreciated administrators, and effective programs.

Read more about some of these outstanding people, schools and communities in our series: Spotlighting JFYNetWorks Partner Schools… February 2020 edition.

Coming to the table — Brockton High students share ideas for state’s healthy relationships campaign

A roundtable gave students a chance to tell Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito ways the RESPECTfully campaign can reach out to teens. The RESPECTfully campaign is a public awareness effort to help middle and high school students navigate relationships in a safe way.
Read entire article here.

Source: Wicked Local Brockton
Pic source: Allysa Stone | The Enterprise

B.M.C. Durfee HS teen reclaims her power after discrimination

Though Sumaiyea Uddin, a B.M.C. Durfee High School senior and human rights activist was born after Sept. 11, 2001, she has lived with the stereotypes imposed on Muslim-Americans since she was in the fourth grade. Taunts from children surrounding the hijab she adorns, a “symbol of faith and modesty,” was viewed by too many as a symbol of a terrorist. And the hate was hurtful until “she took her power back” by speaking up for herself and her culture and formed an anti-bullying club at her middle school that spread to others.
Read entire article here.

Source: Healdnews.com
Pic source: Herald News photo | Deborah Allard.

Durfee HS Grad Honored During the Black Excellence on the Hill event

At the State House on Feb. 11, Rep. Alan Silvia, D-Fall River, recognized Shawn Thames for his commitment and service to the Fall River community. Thames is a lifelong resident of Fall River and a Durfee High School graduate. Of many achievements, Thames is known for his apparel line conveying messages of positivity.
Read entire article here.

Source: Healdnews.com
Pic source: submitted

HOW ARE WE DOING?
In our pursuit to serve up content that matters to you, we ask that you take a couple of minutes to let us know how we’re doing? Please click here to be navigated to our JFYNet Satisfaction Survey. Thank you!