LAST UPDATED: May 2022
1. Children’s Privacy.
Protecting the privacy of children is especially important to JFY. For that reason, we permit a child under the age of 13 to register an account via the Website (a “JFY Account”) only under the supervision of the child’s school, and we rely on the school to provide consent on behalf of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
2. Personal Information We Collect
The personal information we collect depends on how you interact with our Website, including:
- Device Information: When you visit our Website or open our emails, we may learn information about your browser (e.g., name, version, settings, etc.), device type and settings, IP address, MAC address, mobile device identifiers, internet service provider, the name and version of your operating system, referring and exit pages, and the date and time of your visit.
- Website Usage Data: We may collect information about your interactions with our Website, including the pages you visit, links or buttons you click, the search terms you enter, and other similar interactions with the Website.
- Location Data: We may use various technologies to learn your geographic location, including by collecting your IP address or other device information, which may depend on your device’s settings for location services and how you interact with the Website.
- JFY Account Credentials: If you register JFY Account, we will collect your account credentials, which may include a user name and password.
- Submitted Content: We collect information you choose to submit to us through web forms or other interactive functionalities on our Website, or by uploading information or content via the Website. This information may include, for example, contact information (e.g., name, address, email address, phone number); demographic information (e.g., birthdate, ethnicity, gender); education information (e.g., relevant school identification number, information about a student’s school, classes, grades, etc.); professional information (e.g., information about your employer, job title, credentials, etc.); testimonial content; photos, videos, and other multimedia content; and any other information you choose to submit to JFY. Submitted Content also includes any information you provide during the course of engaging with JFY’s services through a JFY Account (e.g., students’ responses to questions as part of educational assignments, exercises or tests; feedback provided by teachers or other educators or aides, etc.).
- Preferences: We may collect information about your preferences, such as your email preferences and services you may be interested in.
- Inferences: We or our third party service providers may draw inferences about any of the information above that may relate to you or your preferences, or other matters.
3. How We Collect Your Personal Information
We may collect the information described above directly from you or your parents or teachers or other school personnel or learning specialists, from third parties we partner with, or through cookies or other automated means, including:
- Automatically from Your Device or Browser: As is true of most websites, whenever you visit our Website, we or third parties who provide services to us may collect information from your device or browser, which may include Device Information, Website Usage Data, and Location Data.
- Directly from You: We collect information directly from you, including whenever you contact us online with questions or comments; provide Submitted Content via our Website; create a JFY Account; update your email preferences; respond to an online survey; or fill out any forms on our Website.
- From your School. We collect information about you from others, such as your teacher or school, or other third parties associated with your use of the Website.
- Publicly Available Sources: We may collect information from publicly available sources, and combine such information with information we’ve collected via the Website.
4. How We Use Your Personal Information
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To allow you to use and access our Website and to provide you with JFY’s services.
- To monitor and evaluate the performance and functionality of our Website, including as part of our analytic practices, or otherwise to maintain or improve the content, security, and services offered through our Website. Additional information about how Google Analytics uses your information collected for data analytics purposes is available here.
- To maintain and operate JFY Accounts, including by making certain services available to account users.
- To communicate with our users, including, for example, to respond to requests for information via the “Contact Us” web form.
- To process applications for and inquiries about student enrollment at JFY that are submitted online.
- To facilitate outbound marketing and targeted advertising campaigns.
- For fundraising purposes, including outreach and the processing of donations submitted via our Website.
- To investigate any suspected misuse of our Website and to prevent fraudulent activity; to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and respond to requests from courts or other governmental bodies; and to protect or defend the rights, property, personal safety, and interests of JFY, our students or staff, the public, or the interests of our third party service providers.
We may also use de-identified or aggregated information for product development, research, analytics and other purposes, including for the purpose of analyzing, improving or marketing our services, for demonstrating the impact of our services, or conducting educational research.
5. How We Share Personal Information with Third Parties
We may share information with third parties for certain purposes. For example, we may share information with:
- Data Analytics Providers, Marketing and Advertising Partners, and Other Service Providers: As we noted in Section 3 above, we partner with third parties who provide services to us, including data analytics providers, marketing and advertising partners, payment processors, and providers that assist us with the operation and functionality of our website (and our organization more generally), like email and online-survey service providers. We may share the information we’ve collected via our Website with these third parties so that they may provide us with their services. For example, we may share information with data analytics providers to analyze the activities taking place on our Website (among other analyses of our organization’s operations), and marketing and advertising partners to facilitate outbound marketing efforts and targeted advertising campaigns.
- State Agencies, Schools, and their Administrators and Teachers: We may share the information we’ve collected from or about a particular student user with that student’s school and the school’s administrators, teachers, and learning specialists. We may also disclose certain information to state agencies when requested or required.
- JFY Successors: Your information may be transferred to another entity that succeeds to all or part of JFY’s business in connection with a sale, reorganization, consolidation, or merger.
- Aggregated and/or De-Identified Information: We may share aggregated and/or de-identified information with third parties, including our funders and potential funders, without restriction.
- Other Third Parties: We and our third-party service providers and partners will disclose specific individual information if we or they reasonably believe it is necessary to investigate any suspected misuse of our website and to prevent fraudulent activity; to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and respond to requests from courts or other governmental bodies; and to protect or defend the rights, property, personal safety, and interests of JFY, our students or staff, the public, or the interests of our third party service providers.
We may also share your information with third parties whenever you consent to or direct such sharing.
6. Your Privacy Choices
You can control the information we collect and use in the following ways:
- Location Data: You can disable location-based services on your mobile device or web browser by adjusting the settings on your device or browser. This will prevent our Website from accessing your Location Data. Note that some services may not be available if you disable location-based services, and you may experience difficulties using our Website.
- Emails: You can unsubscribe from JFY’s marketing emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of these emails.
- JFY Accounts: You can keep your information accurate and up to date by logging into your JFY account on our Website. If you wish to cancel your account, email us at email@example.com.
Unfortunately, if you choose not to accept cookies on your browser, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Website.
- User Requests: You can contact us at any time using our phone number: 617-657-4485 or by email: at firstname.lastname@example.org to request we do any of the following: (i) erase or delete all or some of your personal information; (ii) change, update, or correct your personal information; (iii) restrict how we use all or some of your personal information; (iv) access your personal information and, where applicable and feasible, request to receive that personal information in a commonly used electronic format (or ask for this information to be provided in that format to a third party); or (v) disclose what personal information we collect, use, or disclose. You may also request that we stop sharing your personal information with third parties for certain purposes by contacting us at the above phone number or email address. We will consider and respond to any such requests promptly, and otherwise in accordance with applicable laws.
Although we use measures to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of information provided over the Internet or stored in our databases. Your transmissions are, therefore, at your own risk. You can help protect your information by selecting strong, unique passwords for your JFY Account and any associated email addresses.
8. Retention of Your Personal Information.
We will retain the information we collect only for so long as we need it to fulfill the purposes outlined in Section 3 above, “How We Use Your Personal Information,” unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
9. Supported Web Browsers and Do Not Track Signals
We recommend that you use the latest web browser versions to optimize your experience. Older web browser versions may not be able to access or utilize all pages on our website as intended. We may not be able to receive or honor web browser “Do Not Track” signals and our Website may continue to collect information in the manner described within this privacy notice.
11. Links to Other Websites; Social Media Platforms
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to websites owned and operated by third parties (“Third Party Sites”). We encourage you to review the privacy policies of such Third Party Sites so that you understand how those websites collect, use, and share your information. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or other content on Third Party Sites.
12. Contact Us
We welcome your comments and questions. Please contact us at:
P.O. Box 194
Boston, MA 02137
JFYNetWorks Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved.