JFYNet Partner School Spotlight – Doing Great Things September 2019

JFY Partner School Spotlight

Sometimes We Need to Be Reminded…
… that our schools are full of great kids, hard-working and creative teachers, overworked and underappreciated administrators, and effective programs.

Read more about some of these outstanding people, schools and communities in our series: Spotlighting JFYNetWorks Partner Schools… September 2019 edition.

Best Public High Schools in Boston 2019

5 JFYNet Partner Schools made the Boston Magazine “Best Public High Schools 2019” list. They are Revere High, Madison Park TVHS, Brockton High, East Boston High and Dearborn STEM Academy.

We’re proud of the staff and students of these exemplary schools. Knowing them from the inside, we are well aware of the hard work that goes into their achievements. Congratulations to our five and to all the others who were recognized in this annual review of schools inside 495. Our Fall River partner, B.M.C. Durfee High School, would have been on the list if the scope went beyond 495.

Entire list found here.

Source: bostonmagazine.com

City native creates $1 million scholarship helping Brockton students

A Brockton native turned successful healthcare venture capitalist committed $1 million for a scholarship that will help students from his hometown go to Suffolk Law School. Barry Cosgrove recently made a $1 million commitment to provide scholarships for Suffolk Law students with significant financial need, supporting law students from Brockton.

Read more here.

Source: enterprisenews.com

At Madison Park, students call on peers to make peace

Students from across Boston reached out to peers with a message of compassion and optimism at an anti-violence rally Saturday, an offer of support for any young people who need to turn their lives around.

Students planned the rally, which drew about 100 young people and supporters to an athletic field at Madison Park Technical Vocational High School, to deliver a message of peace in a way that was relatable and fun, they said. It was a group idea and a group effort.

Read more here.

Source: bostonglobe.com

Brockton group teaching kids to code gets boost from Patriots

The Grow Hope Foundation, was recently awarded a $10,000 grant from the New England Patriots Foundation to expand its volunteer efforts to provide young Brockton students with an introduction to computer programming. The foundation pays a stipend for a Brockton High School computer science instructor to teach the lessons, with some high school seniors volunteering to help assist the younger students.

Read more here.

Source: enterprisenews.com

Azorean Maritime Heritage Society awards scholarships, B.M.C. Durfee HS recipient

The Azorean Maritime Heritage Society recently awarded $6,500 in scholarships to six Greater New Bedford students.

Catarina Pereira, graduate of B.M.C. Durfee High School and Fall River resident, plans to attend Providence College to study Political Science and Portuguese. She received the $1,000 Pico Scholarship.

Read more here.

Source: southcoasttoday.com