JFYNet Partner School MARCH 2017 Spotlight – Doing Great Things

JFYNetWorks Partner School Spotlight

MARCH 2017 Edition JFYNet Partner School Spotlight

Sometimes We Need to Be Reminded…

… that our schools are full of great kids, hard-working and creative teachers, overworked and underappreciated administrators, and effective programs.

Read more about some of these outstanding people, schools and communities in our New Series: Spotlighting JFYNetWorks Partner Schools.

Boston Public Schools’ HS Grad Rate Continues Historic Climb

Record-setting percentage of graduates represents 13-point gain since 2006

The high school graduation rate for students in the Boston Public Schools (BPS) continued its decade-long improvement in 2016 with a record-setting 72.4 percent of students receiving a diploma in four years, according to data released by the state Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Special shout out to two JFYNetWorks Partner Schools: #UrbanScienceAcademy and #EastBostonHS. Well done. Read the entire story here.

Source: BostonPublicSchools.org

$2 Million Awarded in Grant Money for Science Programming – East Boston HS a Recipient

From Massachusetts Life Sciences Center

The STEM Equipment and Supplies Grant Program for High Schools enables the purchase of equipment and supplies to train students in life sciences technology and research as well as addresses a funding gap in capital dollars for public and not-for-profit workforce training and educational institutions. The program also seeks to increase student achievement and student interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), as well as support the implementation of state STEM standards. Read the announcement here.

Source: Bostonglobe.com

Greater Lowell Tech Junior Heading to D.C.

Kenny Dela Cruz, a junior in the Carpentry program at Greater Lowell Technical High School, has been selected to represent Lowell as a National Youth Delegate to the 2017 Washington Youth Summit on the Environment at George Mason University.

Dela Cruz joins a select group of 250 students from across the country to participate in an intensive, weeklong study of leadership in environmental science and conservation. Congrats Kenny! Read more here.

Source: LowellSun.com

Shawsheen Valley Technical High School to Host TechJam 2.0

A day of technology discovery and exploration

Shawsheen TechJam 2.0 is a free day of technology discovery featuring demonstrations, interactive workshops, exhibitions and prizes showcasing, drones and robots, gaming and programming, maker zones with 3-D printers, digital artwork and more. A light breakfast snack and box lunch will be provided for all attendees. Learn more.

Source: WickedLocal.com

Learn About JFYNet‘s Partner School Spotlight Series