Broaden Your Instructional Horizons

Broaden Your Instructional Horizons

Broaden Your Instructional Horizons

JFY Resources for the classroom and individual study

by Joan Reissman and Greg Cunningham

JFYNetWorks provides a rich collection of resources for teachers, students, and parents. We focus on math and ELA, but we also support science and social studies. This collection includes podcasts, videos, blogs, and an annotated guide in science, as well as articles that could serve as a springboard for multi-disciplinary research projects. We hope this guide will help you navigate the many strategies, activities, and free resources on our website to inspire teaching and help students improve skills.

PODCASTS

JFY posts monthly podcasts on many topics. We have interviewed many well-known local and national educational figures. The podcasts cover a wide range of topics from social justice to technology in education. Here are two outstanding podcasts that you will want to use in your classroom.

Click on the details below to expand.

Professor Steven Dooner’s analysis of Amanda Gorman’s The Hill We Climb [Podcast]

English Professor Steven Dooner’s analysis of Amanda Gorman’s The Hill We Climb

Video

Amanda Gorman mesmerized the world reading her poem “The Hill We Climb” at President Biden’s inauguration. JFY interviews Quincy College professor Steve Dooner who provides a brilliant analysis. Dooner skillfully weaves his analysis of Gorman’s poem through his discussions of allusions, symbolic references, cultural connections, and wordplay.

Professor Steven Dooner’s analysis of Amanda Gorman’s The Hill We Climb-VIDEO

JFY Chats with Quincy College Professor Steve Dooner [Podcast]

The link between history, literature, and our worldview

Professor Dooner does it again. In his latest podcast, Dooner explores how history, literature, and our worldview are intertwined. He shows how what we choose to read influences our worldview.

VIDEOS

Study Suggestions, Classroom Planning, Resource Guides

These videos offer study suggestions to help with classroom planning, and resources for independent study. We also show the relevance of academic skills in daily life.

Click on the details below to expand.

Math Hybrid Learning Model with JFYNetWorks

Many of the techniques and resources used for hybrid and remote learning can be applied to regular classroom use. Teachers can use these resources to engage students, encourage independent learning, and support acceleration through blended learning. We show how JFY software encourages mathematical thinking so that students learn concepts instead of simply eliminating answers in a multiple-choice format. There will always be absences, so having supplemental options to deliver instruction can help students keep up and reinforce concepts in areas where they are struggling. This webinar also gives helpful suggestions for whole-class and differentiated learning. Software is a great option to make sure every student is getting exactly what is needed. Learning math is a process; students who start with e-books are able to review concepts before they try math problems and work through solutions. We show you how to blend software with your classroom instruction to create a dynamic, inclusive classroom.

Math Hybrid Learning Model with JFYNetWorks [VIDEO]

ELA Hybrid Learning Model with JFYNet

This webinar was designed for a hybrid model, but many of the techniques provide a good foundation for classroom teaching. The webinar shows how to use software to create thematic lessons which are engaging and creative. We explore tracing themes across different genres and cover language acquisition skills so that students can improve vocabulary, annotate text, or read text in their preferred language or with audio support. Our software and open-source resources allow teachers to work with material that is differentiated or at grade level.

ELA Hybrid Learning Model with JFYNet [VIDEO] UPDATED

Math skills. Not Just a Passing Grade Requirement

The next time your students complain that math is just a bunch of abstract concepts, this webinar demonstrates how essential math is for everything we do in life. Math isn’t about just learning formulas. We use math every day in our jobs and daily life. This video covers budgeting, understanding discounts, unit cost, math in sports (for amateurs and professionals), and interest calculations for determining real costs of loans and credit cards.

Did you ever think about the relationship between dance, music, and math? This webinar will have you tapping, singing, and counting time.

Math skills. Not Just a Passing Grade Requirement [VIDEO]

Summer Study Gives a Jump on the Fall

Summer is a time to relax but doing some work now can have a big-time payoff in the fall. Keeping your mind active with books and educational games will keep you sharp and help build skills. Find a study partner. Read a book that interests you and discuss it with friends. Share your thoughts on social media. You might be the founder of a popular online book club. Many books also have websites with discussion questions. We also offer suggestions for comparing books with movies, a good way to gain a deeper understanding of both. Many music videos also connect to a theme. Find a music video you like and discuss how the lyrics and imagery speak to social issues. Relate these themes to a book or article.

Summer Study Gives a Jump on the Fall [VIDEO]

We also offer ideas for improving math skills. Studying math on your own can be challenging, but also rewarding. We show you free resources to help you improve your math skills. There are many free or inexpensive math games that students can have fun with while learning skills.

For teachers in programs using JFY software:

If your students haven’t used JFY software recently, show these videos to your class for some tips on logging into our programs.

Click on the details below to expand.

How to Log into MATHSPACE for the First Time

How to Log Into MATHSPACE for the First Time

How to Log into MATHSPACE if You Already Have an Account

How to Log Into MATHSPACE if You Already Have an Account

How to Log into Achieve3000

How to Log Into Achieve3000

MCAS VIDEOS -Tips, Practice, Navigation

MCAS is definitely back and we want students to do their best. We offer many tips and strategies that will help with test prep and with classroom work. (Remember that MCAS is derived straight from the curriculum standards, just like the grade level curriculum.) Tips, websites and organizational charts will help students do their best.

Click on the details below to expand.

Preparing for MCAS 2.0 Math

Most students will be familiar with the new online MCAS format by the end of this school year. However, for adult students or students who have not been living in Massachusetts, this video will help them understand the test mechanics of MCAS 2.0. You might want to refer students to TestNav8 on the DESE website
http://mcas.pearsonsupport.com/student/. This site has a detailed tutorial on navigating MCAS 2.0.

https://jfynet.org/category/webinars/page/2/

Next Gen ELA: MCAS 2.0, Testing Strategies and Review
Preparation for English Language Arts in the Next Gen ELA MCAS

This webinar is based on improving MCAS performance, but the techniques will help with any type of reading comprehension assessment. We focus on active reading techniques that will improve comprehension, help students retain information, and answer questions more efficiently. Strategies vary according to question type. We offer tips for answering the most frequently asked questions. We also provide guidelines to help students write better essays. Technology can help any student do their best on any assigned reading or standardized test.

Next Gen ELA: MCAS 2.0, Testing Strategies and Review [On-demand video]

ANNOTATED RESOURCE GUIDE

Science Resource Summary

This annotated guide offers a wide variety of free STEM curriculum and activities for science. Resources are divided by discipline and also highlight some popular science YouTube channels. Many of the listed resources are multi-disciplinary, so there is something for any science course you may be teaching. There are interactive textbooks, experiments, and a variety of hands-on activities. There is a separate section for science YouTube channels. These channels offer engaging demonstrations, lectures, and experiments that will help you plan lessons and engage students. The main focus is at the high school level, but there are activities for elementary and middle school too.
https://jfynet.org/science-resource-summary/

Blogs

JFY’s website offers almost 300 articles on a wide variety of topics from education to social issues to culture and contemporary events. https://jfynet.org/blog/

MCAS -Tips, Strategies, Navigation

We offer many ideas for tackling skills and concepts that trouble students. If you’re trying to analyze a text or solve a math problem, it doesn’t matter if it’s from a book or a test: the skills are the same. Some articles focus on MCAS tips, but the strategies and suggestions will help in everyday classroom work. Remember, it’s all based on the state curriculum standards.

Click on the details below to expand.

Biology is not so different after all

The MCAS science tests are finished, but this article will give you a head start for next year. We identify the most frequently tested standards, so that teachers and students can focus on review efficiently. We also offer software suggestions for concept review. Again, it’s all standards-based.

MCAS Science

MCAS Returns

This blog covers math MCAS test prep. You will find a summary of the technology-enhanced questions and where to practice them. This is good preparation for any students who haven’t reached Meeting Expectations on MCAS 2.0. We also cover tips for answering constructed response questions, and using the reference sheet for answering questions.

MCAS Returns

Poetry and the MCAS: Last Minute Tips

Many students struggle with poetry. This article focuses on poetry as given on the MCAS, but the strategies are applicable to understanding poetry in any context. We offer general strategies for tackling a poem and some useful organizers that will help students structure their thoughts and feelings about a poetic text. Giving students strategies for analyzing poetry will help them feel confident when they approach the text (and the test).

Poetry and the MCAS: Last Minute Tips

Strategies for MCAS Next Gen ELA – Part 2
MCAS Next Gen 2.0 ELA – Expect greater emphasis on text comparison.

This article addresses one of the most difficult tasks for ELA students: comparing multiple texts. We cover some general techniques for improving reading comprehension. There is also a sample organizational chart to help students compare their ideas. These strategies will improve students’ comparative analysis.

GENERAL EDUCATION ISSUES and STRATEGIES

Summertime Study Time, Football Math and, High Needs Student Support

Click on the details below to expand.

Summertime Study time. Rising Freshmen and Sophomores: Make the Most of Your Summer

This blog offers techniques and resources for summer study in English and math. We offer suggestions for focused study in math depending on what will help a student the most in math classes next year. There are also free resources listed for students to study reading, grammar, vocabulary and writing. All these resources are free. Students who put in the extra effort this summer will see tangible benefits in the fall.

Summertime Studytime. Rising Freshmen and Sophomores: Make the Most of Your Summer

‘Tis the Season of Football Math

The next time a student tells you that math doesn’t have anything to do with the real world, try a few math problems in this article that show the connections between math and football. This blog includes 5 math problems with solutions.

‘Tis the Season of Football Math

Strategies and Resources for High Needs Students (article and video)

This article provides a summary of techniques that will be helpful to special education students when they are using JFY’s ELA software. We explain strategies to help students improve comprehension and vocabulary. We also offer strategies for classroom organization to deliver instruction more effectively.

Strategies and Resources for High Needs Students

For more detail, see the accompanying video, IEP/504 Accommodations & Support, Online Reading Program in Class & Remotely, below.

SPECIAL ED: Individualized Education Program with JFYNet

IEP/504 Accommodations & Support, Online Reading Program in Class & Remotely [VIDEO]

RESOURCES for RESEARCH PROJECTS

These blogs discuss mathematicians and scientists, but they can be used as a resource in other disciplines. Give your students ideas for a research project. They will want to learn more once they read about these fascinating people and their achievements.

Click on the details below to expand.

Celebrating Women Mathematicians during Women’s History Month

Celebrating Black Scientists this Black History Month

Women Scientists: Passion and Perseverance

CONCLUSION

We hope you find this guide useful. There are many resources here for teachers, students and parents. If you have any questions or want more information about our programs, please contact us through our website at https://jfynet.org/contact-us/. You can also call us at 617-657-4485 or email us at info@jfynet.org.

Have a Great Summer!

(whether you study or not)

Joan Reissman and Greg Cunningham are JFYNet Learning Specialists.

Other posts authored by Joan can be found here.
Other posts authored by Greg can be found here.

HOW ARE WE DOING? In our pursuit to serve up content that matters to you, we ask that you take a couple of minutes to let us know how we’re doing? Please click here to be navigated to our JFYNet Satisfaction Survey. Thank you!

SIMILAR ARTICLES

NO COMMENTS