JFYNet Partner School Spotlight – Doing Great Things July 2018

JFYNet Partner School Spotlight

Sometimes We Need to Be Reminded…
… that our schools are full of great kids, hard-working and creative teachers, overworked and underappreciated administrators, and effective programs.

Read more about some of these outstanding people, schools and communities in our series: Spotlighting JFYNetWorks Partner Schools… July 2018 edition.

Students Lead The Way In Shifting Discipline At Holyoke High School … ‘It’s cool to be you.”

The Pa’lante Restorative Justice Program works to build youth power, center student voice, and organize for school discipline and educational policies and practices that actively dismantle the school to prison pipeline in Holyoke and beyond.

There’s a lot going on at Pa’lante. First there are the peer leaders—a strongly-bonded group of 25 students who meet numerous times a week. Then there are the “action research” projects these students engage in every year, like the one that led to changes in the student support room. And finally there’s “circle practice,” a mode of conflict resolution facilitated by peer leaders for other students, and even teachers. More about the program found here.

Source: Nepr.net

Baker administration has awarded more than $48 million to state’s high schools and colleges…Quincy High benefits

The Baker-Polito Administration today awarded $10.9 million in Skills Capital Grants to 33 high schools and educational institutions, enabling the schools to acquire the newest technologies to educate students and expand programs.

Quincy High School: $132,700 – Quincy High School will enhance the engineering technology program by purchasing new industry standard equipment such as DELL computers/monitors, 3D printers, interactive whiteboards, CNC milling machine, and Project Lead the Way equipment for hands-on instruction and experimentation. The equipment will allow students to work on the same software and equipment that is utilized in manufacturing and engineering design. Full list of recipient schools found here.

Source: CapeCodToday.com

Eastie Schools to Share in Arts Grant

At Boston’s annual Citywide Arts Festival the City of Boston, Boston Public Schools (BPS) and EdVestors announced $450,000 in new grants to help expand the arts in local schools as part of BPS’s Arts Expansion initiative.

Students at five East Boston schools will share in the grant money with nearly sixty other schools districtwide. Students at the East Boston High School, the McKay K-8, the Adams Elementary School, the Bradley Elementary and the O’Donnell Elementary will continue to receive more quality arts education through the Arts Expansion initiative grant money. Read more.

Source: EastieTimes.com

Blatus, San, Coloma recognized at Greater Lowell Tech

Greater Lowell Technical High School recently recognized three May Students of the Month for displaying the school’s core values of respect, effort, accountability, commitment and honesty. Learn more here.

Source: LowellSun.com

Massachusetts gives Holyoke $131,600 grant for early college program for high schoolers

Students can earn up to 12 college credits before they graduate from high school thanks to a $131,600 state grant. The funding is for an early college partnership between the city public schools and Holyoke Community College (HCC).

“We are most appreciative of the state’s critical investment in the sustainability and growth of early college access linked to our high school academies for more students in Holyoke,” said Stephen K. Zrike, the state-appointed receiver managing Holyoke public schools. More found here.

Source: MassLive.com