JFYNet Partner School Spotlight – Doing Great Things October 2017

JFYNet Partner Schools
Sometimes We Need to Be Reminded…
… that our schools are full of great kids, hard-working and creative teachers, overworked and underappreciated administrators, and effective programs.

Read more about some of these outstanding people, schools and communities in our series: Spotlighting JFYNetWorks Partner Schools… October 2017 edition.

Blind Haverhill HS student excels in Topsfield Fair coloring and poster contest

The grand prize in this year’s Topsfield Fair coloring contest went to Carlito Colon, a freshman at Haverhill High School. What made his win remarkable was that this freshman is legally blind.

Of the 40 coloring contest sheets submitted by students in Haverhill High School’s Life Skills program, which serves students with special needs, it was Carlito’s that took first place. Our sincerest congratulations to Carlito. Read the entire story here.

Source: EagleTribune

Program breaking down gender barriers – Industrious women turn to careers in trades

Callahan Construction along with Quincy High School recently launched a partnership aimed at providing students who aspire to break into the industry with first-hand experience in the work, the chance to build connections and potentially enroll in co-op opportunities after they get their diploma.

Only nine of every 100 people working in construction is a woman, according to government statistics. That’s a rate that’s even lower than mining and agriculture, and women in construction make up a little more than 1 percent of the U.S. workforce. But it seems this collaboration, and others like it may help level the playing field. Learn more here.

Source: BostonHerald.com

Future mechanics at GLTHS look ‘Under Hood’ for Tyngsboro seniors

Greater Lowell Technical High School students studying Auto Technology participated in the recent annual “Under the Hood Inspections” at the Tyngsboro Council on Aging.

The community outreach program, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Tyngsboro and Dunstable, is held every year and is much anticipated by the senior citizens and Greater Lowell Tech students.

Students and senior citizens sat at tables and ate breakfast while getting to know one another. All of this is part of Greater Lowell’s mission is to ensure students’ readiness for career, college and citizenship. Read the full story here.

Source: LowellSun